Four Days of Code

I’m so excited to see this blog design coming along.

I’ve spent the last four days up to my ears in xml code hell Bliss! I don’t “read” xml. Yet?

I’ve tried out many templates that just didn’t work. I found a really unique template to use and upon installation, all the header graphics had exceeded bandwidth of the photobucket site that they were hosted on, and that particular template did not include the images in the zipped file.

I think what we have now is simply fantabulous, though!

In the process of all of this, I didn’t get my meal plan typed up. For some odd reason, though, we have managed to have two dinner meals planned and served. That is almost a small miracle.

Many changes have been implemented in these neck of the woods…

Here’s what I’ve been doing around here:

1. I tweaked the template with this hack, to turn all my navigation button pages into somewhat static pages.
  2. Then I found a follow-up post and decided that this hack was a much better choice. Now all my static pages will have the same date, not appear in my archive, won’t have the date above the post, and won’t interrupt the day-to-day blog posts. Yay!
  3. I successfully added a print option to the bottom of all the post pages.
  4. After many attempts, at Carolina Dreamz, to tweak the template, so the posts would list on the main page as summaries, with “read more” links, I found a successful process, here.
  5. I learned about Blogger in Draft, here. I was able to switch the comments, in-line, at the bottom of each full post. Blogger in Draft is much more interesting, too.
  6. I added numbers to the comments section.
  7. I added, but have not implemented three columns in the footer.
  8. I learned how to add a third column to the blog and how to add gadgets to the template so I could create the Navigation bar, but I can’t seem to find the links to where I learned it.

The best trick that I can share, with you, for how I learned all of this.. was I set up a separate blogger, to play with. I added many templates to test drive them. I tweaked that template to remove the “Last/Next/Home” at the bottom of a post, at The Dummies Guide to Blogger.

I don’t really find that blog a big help, to me, because its not designed to be friendly to surf. The font is just too big and it takes a lot of time on my lappie screen to get to anything. I didn’t find that I could easily understand the instructions, there, as I could at Technically Easy and Blogger Buster.

There is a lot to learn at The Dummies Guide to Blogger, but beware that the post about how to add background images to blog posts will leave you with your skin crawling. I was unable to see the post that had a comparison table of Blogger vs WordPress. I was really wanting to read that. But the formatting, in my browser, doesn’t let me see the right half of the table.

So, far, I’m very pleased with some of the changes I’ve been able to make to be comfy to stay at Blogger with this blog. I love Blogger. I’m familiar with it. I will self-host and have a blog at WordPress, as soon as I can get over the set-up and theme shock.

I just decided to stop trying to learn and figure it all out and get to blogging, which I much rather enjoy.

My hope is to have this all set up and onto a routine of what I want it to become, just in time for school to start, so I can lose the rest of my mind. *smirk*

3 Responses to Four Days of Code
  1. AhmedAsker
    August 14, 2008 | 1:04 am

i have also alil advice for you,
    dont put too much videos and stuff can make this page process so slow and hard to navigate

2. Techie Guy
    August 19, 2008 | 10:17 am

Thanks for the links. When I wrote the posts about static pages I wasn't sure if they were easy to follow, since it can become complex to modify a template's XHTML.

BTW, there are too many title tags in your template. You have two sets and you only need one. They are located in the <head> section of you template.

August 20, 2008 | 1:03 am

Thanks. I’m going to hopefully not kill the template to take care of that. I have yet to really “read” the code since I made all the changes. “Read” in that sentence, is relative to my more honest way of faking it as I look around. :)

Trackback URL http://fromthecheapseatz.com/2008/08/13/four-days-of-code/trackback/

Four Days of Code

I’m so excited to see this blog design coming along.

I think what we have now is simply fantabulous, though!

Many changes have been implemented in these neck of the woods…

Here’s what I’ve been doing around here:

3. I successfully added a print option to the bottom of all the post pages.
  6. I added numbers to the comments section.
  7. I added, but have not implemented three columns in the footer.

3 Responses to Four Days of Code