Eggstra Attention

eggsOkay. Confession. I’m an egg snob. I prefer “free-range” brown eggs, in paper cartons.

It all started as a taste experiment.

I choose to be ignorant to the humane aspects of the treatment of chickens. This post is not about the chicken.

I’d have my own chickens, if that were possible. Right now, its not.

My choice of free-range eggs is much like my switch to only organic milk.

Purely a taste choice. Here’s a great break-down. I’ve never seen this side-by-side, before, and yet I felt this way about the poor commercial white eggs.

We like free-range brown eggs more. We think they taste better. There really is no comparison, though.

We take the “eat less of it, so you can eat the best tasting..” philosophy.

I like to store my eggs in the top right-hand side of my refrigerator.

I’ve recently read that eggs are not refrigerated in Europe.

Is this true?

I don’t buy shortening and I’m not about to buy it to coat eggs.

I was intrigued to read about waterglass. As for limewater, I wonder if finely slated lime is the same stuff you put on your lawn?? I mean, waterglass is a mixture of potassium and sodium silicate. I read that sodium silicate is the same stuff you stop an engine leak with..

I’m going to keep my eggs in the refrigerator, so I’m not too worried about what to coat or dip them in..

My eggs show signs of “where they’ve been” so I’m not too worried that they’ve been washed, at all. But, this article says that all eggs, in the US, must be washed. I guess the chicken poops on it after its washed? *giggle*

That article also states the EU regulations require Grade A eggs, sold to the public, to be unwashed and unrefrigerated or chilled.

The expiration date, stamped on the carton, of the eggs, we eat, is mostly what I’m thinking about, as I type this up..

I wonder how much of it is purely a manufacturing or FDA thing.. I’ve read that they are good for 5-6 weeks after the date, if they are refrigerated.. but I wonder.. (I, also, rarely have them THAT long.)

I think I’m going to start putting my eggs in water, to test if they are good or not. I am throwing away too many eggs, based on a date, that I wonder, now, if it really means my eggs are bad.

Here’s the “Alton Brown” of why a bad egg floats:

3 Responses to Eggstra Attention
  1. Tilli
    February 20, 2009 | 9:20 pm

Well, I’m in England and we put our eggs in the fridge *shrug*. I never know whether we count as Europe though, we’re like the strange possibly-involved-with-shady-individuals uncle who has a cool job that none of the parents want their kids to meet for fear of bad influence. I take them out before baking though, because I hear all baking ingredients have to be at room temperature before….baking. I don’t know why that is. Wow, I guess I do follow instructions blindly.

February 21, 2009 | 1:01 pm

Hi Tilli.

When I worked in the Family History Library, in Charleston, there was a man who would really get upset, with me, if I said “England” and not “Britain.” (so I know nothing about England, apparently..)

As for why we use ingredients at room temperature.. ingredients mix smoother, and bake more evenly because of equal temperature.. its a chemisty thing.. about surface and reaction..

You can bring eggs to room temperature, in a bowl of warm water, too.

Thanks for your comment.

3. Eyebee
    February 22, 2009 | 11:05 am

I’ve always kept eggs in the refrigerator, although I’ve read that they should ideally be stored at room temperature –

Refrigerators in the UK usually have a built-in egg tray in any case.

As for EU regulations… as I am a HUGE Eurosceptic, don’t start me on about that.

Trackback URL http://fromthecheapseatz.com/2009/02/16/eggstra-attention/trackback/

Eggstra Attention

It all started as a taste experiment.

I’d have my own chickens, if that were possible. Right now, its not.

My choice of free-range eggs is much like my switch to only organic milk.

We take the “eat less of it, so you can eat the best tasting..” philosophy.

I like to store my eggs in the top right-hand side of my refrigerator.

I’ve recently read that eggs are not refrigerated in Europe.

Is this true?

I don’t buy shortening and I’m not about to buy it to coat eggs.

Here’s the “Alton Brown” of why a bad egg floats:

3 Responses to Eggstra Attention
  1. Tilli
    February 20, 2009 | 9:20 pm

February 21, 2009 | 1:01 pm

Hi Tilli.

You can bring eggs to room temperature, in a bowl of warm water, too.

Thanks for your comment.

3. Eyebee
    February 22, 2009 | 11:05 am

Refrigerators in the UK usually have a built-in egg tray in any case.