HM Tortillas (My 200th Post on FTCS!)

I’m so excited. I had no idea this would be so easy. If I can roll out and make HM Tortillas, with this crazy vertigo head thing.. anyone can.. and everyone loved them!

HM Tortillas

Mix together:
2 cups unbleached flour
1 teaspoon Kosher or Fine Sea Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Powder

I store my non-hydrogenated shortening in the refrigerator (for biscuits,) so I added to my 2 cup measuring cup:

2/3 cup filtered water
and pieces of shortening to take the water level to 1 cup (1/3 cup shortening) (The cold shortening shaves off, like hard chocolate.)

I couldn’t get the camera to cooperate to show you this step..

Pour water/shortening into flour mixture. Knead 6 minutes. Cut into 8 sections. Roll each section into a ball. Roll each ball out, onto a floured surface.

Cook on a dry hot skillet for 1-2 minutes, on each side, until golden brown.

3 Responses to HM Tortillas (My 200th Post on FTCS!)
  1. Heather @ Not a DIY Life
    October 14, 2009 | 4:46 am

Very similar to my recipe. And I was also surprised at how easy these are to make!! We have these about once a week now. I can even roll them out with a toddler strapped to my back.

2. Daniel
    October 14, 2009 | 5:06 am

Congrats on this–both for your 200th post AND for your homemade tortillas. It's funny, I didn't realize they could be so easy either, and so you've convinced me to try making them myself!

Dan
    Casual Kitchen

October 14, 2009 | 7:11 am

Hey Heather.. I'm going to try the first set of my dough cycle, on my bread machine, to see how they turn out with my manual kneading..

Daniel.. yes, make them.. they are so worth it.

I have all my "dough conditioner" supplies, so I can toodle in the whole wheat flours.. after this morning's appt at the ENT. (or the nap after that?)

Thanks for your comments.

Trackback URL http://fromthecheapseatz.com/2009/10/14/hm-tortillas-my-200th-post-on-ftcs/trackback/

HM Tortillas (My 200th Post on FTCS!)

HM Tortillas

Mix together:
2 cups unbleached flour
1 teaspoon Kosher or Fine Sea Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Powder

2/3 cup filtered water

I couldn’t get the camera to cooperate to show you this step..

Cook on a dry hot skillet for 1-2 minutes, on each side, until golden brown.

3 Responses to HM Tortillas (My 200th Post on FTCS!)
  1. Heather @ Not a DIY Life
    October 14, 2009 | 4:46 am

2. Daniel
    October 14, 2009 | 5:06 am

Dan
    Casual Kitchen

October 14, 2009 | 7:11 am

Daniel.. yes, make them.. they are so worth it.

Thanks for your comments.